“Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.”
— Revelation 2:4
Six heavy words: “Nevertheless I have this against you.” Not the kind of words you ever want to hear form Jesus. I’d much rather hear “Well done good and faithful servant.” Thankfully the Scriptures also say, “Whom the Lord loves, He chastens” (Hebrews 12:6). You can be certain, these letters from Jesus to the 7 churches of Asia were written from a loving heart, seeking to bring correction.
It is important for followers of Jesus to always allow God’s Word to bring the (sometimes) necessary rebuke into our lives. For as Paul wrote to the Corinthians, “if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged.”
Be honest about your life before God. Let His Word have it’s perfecting work in your life.
Enduring Word Commentary with Pastor David Guzik
Read the Scriptures at Bible.com
Download the YouVersion Bible App
My Teachings on the 7 Churches of Revelation
Additional Daily Devotionals
My Utmost for His Highest | Oswald Chambers
Morning & Evening | Charles Spurgeon
Books on Revelation
If you’re interested in further materials on Revelation and Eschatology, check out the following:
- A night of eschatology (video) – Desiring God
- Revelation: The Spirit Speaks to the Churches – by James M. Hamilton Jr.
- A Case for Historic Premillennialism – by Craig L. Blomberg (Editor), Sung Wook Chung (Editor)
- A Case for Amillennialism by Kim Riddlebarger
- Heaven Misplaced: Christ’s Kingdom on Earth – by Douglas Wilson